Thursday, March 6, 2008

3/5 -Thieves and Assassins, Call it Fire, Nautical Mile, Everything Sucks, Stay Alive

Tonight's show was at the "new and improved" Village Pub South. Apparently there used to be shows here pretty often, and for whatever reason everybody absolutely hated the place. I don't know why, this was my second time at the VPS and while it is pretty small, I don't think its terrible. One bad thing about it is that just east of the venue (which is located in Amityville) is a really bad neighborhood that you don't want to walk around in alone. Oh yea, the Amityville Horror house is pretty much down the road, and guess what IT IS NOT SCARY AT ALL AND PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIVE THERE.

Opening the show was a band from Brooklyn called STAY ALIVE. This was my first time seeing them, and I think one of their first shows, and they were not bad at all. The singer, Frank, was jumping around all over the small stage and was definitely really into what he was doing. It always good to have an energetic vocalist, keeps things fun to watch. They played for about 20 minutes and they are definitely worth checking out. I got a melodic punk hardcorish feel. Getxfresh.com says if you like AVAIL, AGAINST ME, STRIKE ANYWHERE then you will like STAY ALIVE, and I guess thats about right. After they played Chris and I went to pick up a demo, and Frank ended up giving us demos plus a bunch of other free cds/tape, really nice dude.

From here on in were all Long Island bands, starting with EVERYTHING SUCKS. Obviously they are influenced by the Descendents, among others. EVERYTHING SUCKS are really fun to watch, Matt's dancing while he is singing is great. And the music is good too. I am almost positive that they opened with a FUGAZI cover, and it sounded pretty well done to me. If you have the chance, you should catch EVERYTHING SUCKS because they are good and I believe their demo is free.

Taking the mid-show spot were NAUTICAL MILE which has members of SILENT MAJORITY, CAPITAL and more that I can't remember. This was maybe my third time seeing them and the most I have enjoyed them by far. They play some awesome hardcore punk, and do it with drunken style. At one point the singer tripped and fell into a roll down the ramp off stage, and made it look good. They even covered CAPITAL "Live Damnit Live" because they had to drop the show for unknown reasons. They have a demo, so you need to go check that out immediately.

Next were CALL IT FIRE. This band is seriously awesome, I think if they would play more shows that they could maybe be the next BACKUP PLAN. They are awesome live, and at times remind me of MODERN LIFE IS WAR, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, and THE BACKUP PLAN. There was some mic trouble during the set, but that did not phase their fast, powerful, and emotional hardcore. They just released a full length record for free on the internet, along with a previously available demo. Both of which are really fucking good, go download them now it doesn't cost you anything and I know you fucks love to get free music.

Picking up the slack for CAPITAL(who had to cancel a few hours prior to the show) were THIEVES AND ASSASSINS who I think are one of the best, if not the best band on Long Island right now. They opened their set with 3 brand new songs, all of which sounded fucking awesome. I can not wait for the new stuff to come out on a hard copy for me to listen to nonstop. They played a bunch of stuff off their full length "Martyr Brigade", and closed with "Swear to God", which got the most reaction out of any of the bands of the night. Duncan(vocals) did not have the sweet mustache that he had last time I saw them, bummer I guess Long Island doesn't do mustache's anymore. THIEVES rule, the lyrics are some of the best written. You need to check them out if you haven't, you are missing out.

whats good:
crucified demo
long island hardcore
grilled cheese

No comments: