Sunday, March 2, 2008

3/1 - Paint it Black Double Feature

So I was really excited for this day since the first show got announced, I love PAINT IT BLACK. And when I heard about 2 shows in one day, there was no way I could pass that up! The first show was to be at Generation Records in the village. To get in you had to be one of the first 50 people to buy their new cd at the store a few weeks prior. And the second show was them with STRIKE ANYWHERE and some other bands at the Knitting Factory. With me for this was Rob, Rob is a very good sport with me because I make him go to countless shows, and I constantly talk about reunions and other cool things that would never happen.

We got to Generation Records around 1:45 and after giving our names to the guy w/ the pad, and went downstairs. PAINT IT BLACK was setting up in the t-shirt area, and surprisingly there was enough room, I really didn't know how it was gonna work out before I got there so I was glad to see there was actually room to breathe. There was a decent amount of kids already there, and everyone was browsing the records and used cd's. Eventually they started to play, it wasn't on time of course, but this is hardcore so who the fuck cares. It was obvious that the band was super happy to play, and that at least half the kids there were really excited. They ripped through about 10 songs, making time for jokes and shit. At one point Andy Nelson, the bassist, started saying how much the Knitting Factory stage sucks to play on, and that he wanted everyone to do whatever they could to fuck the place up. I found it funny, but I figured nobody is actually going to do anything. Kids were trying to do the push mosh a few times, and some even crowd climbed, kicking out a light at one point. But thankfully no real damage was done!

After they played, we have a few hours to kill. Which consisted of walking around the village, going to 3 record stores, and eating at 5 guys burgers and fries. That place has the best burgers out of any chain. If I ever do food reviews, expect that to be in there. Eventually we met up with Brian, and the three of us headed to Soho for the Knitting Factory show.

We arrived before any band started playing. And did what we usually do for the first band, hung out in the merch area. They were called PITCH BLACK BLONDE and I didn't really pay attention at all, sorry. Next up were the RIVERBOAT GAMBLERS, I only watched a few songs by them, and by this point Erin had come so I was hanging out with her. They were entertaining to watch though, the singer LOVES to throw the mic in the air, just like the lead singer of TAKING BACK SUNDAY. They played a forgettable kind of rock'n'roll punk I guess. I didn't really like it, you might.

Next were fucking PAINT IT BLACK, they got such a good reaction. Kids were going nuts the entire set. Every time I see them Dan Yemin always has some positive things to say. Tonight he talked about how he hates organised religion, how this was all for us, and he encouraged stagedives and for kids to come on stage. And Dan always looks so mad when he sings, then once the song ends he will immediately have a smile on his face. Tonight's show was EASILY the best reaction I have seen PAINT IT BLACK get. They definitely bring a different crowd of hardcore kids, this was obvious because of the push mosh pit, which is pretty annoying. But that is the only negative thing I have to say. Another funny thing was that Andy called out CHICKEN MAN, who didnt make it because he is broke, then called him a poser for not coming, if you don't know CM then it sucks for you. They didn't close with Memorial Day, but they did play it second to last. And they did a good job of not making both sets the exact same set!(Robs biggest worry). If you missed this show, or don't like PAINT IT BLACK, well then I feel sorry for you.

Headlining were STRIKE ANYWHERE, this was my first time seeing them but I'm not all that familiar with their stuff. We watched from the balcony, and once again all the kids exploded with energy. The singer was full of it too, jumping all over stage with his really fucking long dreadlocks flying everywhere. They sounded pretty tight, but the his voice cracks and squeaks when he is trying to shout his loudest. They played the few songs I know by them and then we decided to leave early.

Plenty of people were taking pictures at both shows, im sure they will surface soon, I just cant find them yet.

Paint it Black @ Generation Records

No comments: